Friday, December 4, 2009

Week 4, blog #8 - Friday night DJ

Most people that I know would probably not say that they love going to work. I work at Thunderbird Lanes, and most of the time, I don't look forward to it either. But Friday nights are a different story for me.

That's because on Friday night I get to run the Friday Night Rock N Bowl. That picture isn't from our center, but it's basically the same thing. We turn out all the concourse lights, turn on the laser light show and blacklights, and play music videos on our projection screens from 10 p.m. until 1 a.m. I control the music and light show, while my co-worker, and professional DJ, James Hogan interacts with the crowd and makes announcements on our wireless microphone.

I will admit that I'm not the greatest DJ in the world, from a technical standpoint. I've been running the Rock N Bowl for a few months now, but I still don't really know how to use all of our equipment yet. Basically, all I have to do is type in a song title or artist name into our internet database and rearrange the songs as I see fit. There's probably more stuff that I can do, but what we do now seems to work just fine.

But what I am good at is making sure that the bowlers all have fun. I play any and all requests if we have the song. Yes, that means that I will play Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" for you, even though I've heard it so many times that it now makes me want to puke whenever I hear it. And of course, I do like to mix in a few of my favorites whenever I can.

James agrees with me that it's all about making sure that other people have fun. He said that being a DJ is entertaining for him personally, but he's more concerned about making sure that the bowlers are entertained. He enjoys the freedom that comes with it and that it varies from week to week.

I agree with him on that point. Being a DJ is a lot of fun because every week is different from the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment