Sunday, November 15, 2009

Week 1, blog #2 - No more Farmville invites please

I don't care that you need help fertilizing your crops in Farmville. I don't care that a lonely pink cow wandered on to your farm and you need me to "adopt" it or it won't have a home. It doesn't really exist, so I don't really care if it has a home or not. I don't want to join your mafia in Mafia Wars. I'm sorry, but that means you'll have to find someone else to help you rob imaginary jewelry stores and carry out fake mob hits. And I really don't care that you just got a new high score of 1,235,837 in Bejewled Blitz. It just doesn't interest me.

If you've been on Facebook lately, you've almost certainly been invited to participate in one of these increasingly annoying games. According to this article, Farmville has 63 million players between the U.S. and U.K. Some days, it seems like I get an invitation from most of them asking me to help them with their farms. My news feed was cluttered with people updating their Farmville and Mafia Wars progress and asking for help before I finally figured out how to ignore updates from those applications. I even became Facebook fan of "not playing Farmville," but that hasn't stopped the requests.

One of my Farmville playing friends, Melissa Garland, explained why Farmville is so addictive. Garland estimates that she's been playing Farmville for about four months, and that she spends about five or six hours per day either playing the game or checking her farm's progress.

"I guess I just want to beat my friends," Garland said. "I don't why I play it so much. It's really a stupid game."

I definitely agree with her on that last point. At least she's agreed to not send me any more Farmville requests. Now if I could only get the rest of my friends to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment