Saturday, November 14, 2009

Friday's IGoogle news

I found an interesting local story on Poynter's Romanesko blog. The full article, found here, details plans to start a new, daily local newspaper called the Detroit Daily Press. The newspaper will go on sale Nov. 23 at local retail outlets and will be delivered to homes starting on Nov. 30. The target audience will be older readers who miss having a daily newspaper. The Monday-Saturday editions will include approximately 16 pages of general news, and the expanded Sunday edition will include comics, a TV Guide, and a copy of Parade magazine.

The paper's staff will consist of several former Detroit area journalists including Rob Parker, John Smyntek, Hawke Fracassa, and Kim Crawford. The owners of the paper hope to limit costs by renting office space in Royal Oak, rather than buying a building and by having the paper printed on contract, rather than on their own presses.

The owners hope to have 100,000 subscribers at the launch, which to me seems to be a little optimistic. In this new digital age, I can't see a lot of people subscribing to this right away, especially since the marketing campaign hasn't even started yet. It might take people a while to find out about this and that launch isn't very far away.

This to me seems to be a pretty interesting idea, especially since one of my favorite journalists, Rob Parker will be on the staff. I'm not sure if I will subscribe yet, but I definitely plan on checking out the website when they get that launched in the upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment