Friday, November 20, 2009

Week 2, blog #3

When I logged into Xbox Live on Wednesday, I saw something interesting in the "My Community" section. Starting this week, Xbox live users can download an update that will allow them to connect their profiles on Facebook, Twitter, and last.fm to their Xbox Live account. Users can then use their console to browse these sites, allowing them to view status updates and tweets from their friends, and to update their own status. This is what the application looks like as seen on Xbox Live.

I gave this a try Wednesday night. Probably the coolest feature is the one that searches though your Facebook friends for people with Xbox Live accounts. I was able to add some new friends to my Live account; people that I already knew through Facebook, but who I didn't know were Live users.

The last.fm feature is also a great addition. Before, if I wanted to listen to music on my Xbox, I had to put in a CD or rip a CD to my hard drive. Just putting the CD in was a problem, because I couldn't play games at the same time, and ripping the CD was time consuming and it took up a lot of disk space. With the last.fm feature, I can listen to every song that I've added to my last.fm library without needing to have the actual CD stored on my hard drive. I've been using last.fm since 2007, and I've accumulated almost 19,000 song plays. I can now listen to most of those songs from my Xbox, as well as several themed radio stations.

The only drawback of these new features so far, is that they cannot be used while you're actually playing a game. To access them, you need to quit the game and go back to the Xbox dashboard. Hopefully, that will be addressed in the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment